Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Random Musings

Tripping.  The act of impeding or catching of a person's foot so as to throw the person down, esp. in wrestling.

Also, a 10 yard penalty in the National Football League.  Does that seem off to anybody else, or is it just me?

You know what isn't a penalty in the NFL???  Beating the crap out of someone.  And yet somehow, tripping will dock you 10 yards.

Doesn't it just feel like something so irrelevant that it should fall into the category of general shenanigans?  Given the extreme violence and physicality of football, doesn't it just seem so minuscule that it's not even worth noting?  When I think of tripping, I don't think of a serious NFL penalty.  I think of Larry, Moe, and Curly...


"Coitanly! Nyuk nyuk nyuk!" [eye poke, slap]

I don't know, maybe I'm way off base here, but to me tripping seems like one of the lamest NFL rules... "Ok guys, I want you to go out there and hit each other with bone-breaking, concussion causing, paralyzing force!!!  But whatever you do, do not, under ANY circumstance, stick your leg out and trip someone!!!!"

To quote the Dude in all of his wisdom, "Who gives a crap about the marmot?!?!"  Who gives a crap about tripping?!?  Let's worry about penalties that actually matter, like excessive celebration.

No comments: