Thursday, December 24, 2009

"CAUTION: Falling Mice"

Random Thought of the Day:  What exactly are we accomplishing with the "CAUTION: Falling Ice" signs that are always out on the sidewalks of Chicago?  If there is as they say "falling ice," then shouldn't we just close the entire sidewalk?!  Nah, I say take your chances and go for it -- It makes walking to work all that much more exciting.

I always find myself looking up every time I see these signs, and then it occurs to me: looking up is probably the worst thing to do.  It just seems natural to me to look up and check to make sure it's safe... After all, there could be massive chunks of frozen water falling from the sky that I might need to dodge using my superhuman powers (NBD).

Even though it might not make much sense to look up, I'm pretty sure I'm the only person taking any sort of cautionary action in regard to these signs.  I've literally never seen one single other pedestrian do anything (oh, I'm watching).  No one looks up, no one crosses the street to walk on a different sidewalk, no one does anything... Because what can you do?!?!  Which brings us back to the basic question here: What's the point of these signs?  I guess it's gotta be a liability issue, and that by putting up a sign the buildings are protecting themselves from being sued when someone inevitably gets crushed by a gigantic icicle.  Ahhhh, good 'ole America!

As pointless as they may in fact be, I have to say I can't help but laugh every time I walk past my favorite stretch of Michigan Ave "Falling Ice" signs.  That's cause somebody took the liberty of scrawling "M," "L" and "TW" on consecutive signs.

And yes, I do look up to make sure I'm not going to get hit with falling mice or lice, and I'm definitely not getting hit twice by any mice or lice!!!

No comments: