Thursday, February 5, 2009

The Rot

When you look up "the rot" on merriam-webster.com, you see the following entry:

Main Entry:
1rot            Listen to the pronunciation of 1rot
Pronunciation:
\ˈrät\
Function:
verb
Inflected Form(s):
rot·tedrot·ting
Etymology:
Middle English roten, from Old English rotian; akin to Old High German rōzzēn to rot
Date:
before 12th century
intransitive verb1 a: to undergo decomposition from the action of bacteria or fungi b: to become unsound or weak (as from use or chemical action)2 a: to go to ruin : deteriorate b: to become morally corrupt : degeneratetransitive verb: to cause to decompose or deteriorate with or as if with rot
synonyms see decay

Since I had today off, and I really haven't been able to muster the motivation to get to the gym lately for whatever reason, I just went for a run.  I needed it badly.
In running, and in my post-run thoughts, a few things occurred to me.  The first realization came during the run when I felt some of the first glimpses I have ever felt of getting older.  Adam's response to this was, "You're lucky it's your first," and I guess he's right.  I know this may sound ridiculous since I'm 24, but bear with me here.  My ankles were hurting.  The place where I had the surgery in my knee was feeling weak.  And even though these might seem like small, nit-picky things, it really kinda killed me because it sort of forces you to realize that you're not immortal.  Not that I ever had any delusions about my mortality (as Adam remarked, "What, immortal like Drago?  Like Jafar from Aladdin??"), but I believe that you feel more empowered in all aspects of life when you're in good shape.  It just translates into a more positive mindset and more positive actions.
After having been a serious athlete for pretty much my entire life, I'm finding the fall from that level of competition and training a little bewildering.  Even last year when I wasn't technically on a team anymore (I was a ski instructor), I was extremely active skiing everyday and going to the gym.  I always felt like I was in phenomenal shape.
Things have changed a bit now.  I am not nearly as active.  I spend a lot of time doing what I'm doing right now, sitting in front of a screen.  Giving tours.  Answering phones.  Walking around Manhattan.  I guess that's what comes with having a "real job."
Another realization I came to from going on this run was that it's cold outside.  It's really cold.  It is holyshitfuck cold.  Now if you're thinking, "You don't need to go on a run to figure something like that out." you would be right.  But, as we all know, I am not very smart.  Really not the brightest crayon in the box here..  And so, in order for me to figure that out, I did the logical thing and went on a really long run.  Brilliant.
Cheers.

No comments: